Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Update Tuesday Morning

I apologize--I know many are anxious for an update. It's been beyond busy, so I'm running late on this.
Here is a picture Adam took through a window of Jacob in the NICU. He was happy to at least be able to see his little brother. Jacob is doing well. The four main things he needs to accomplish (for 48 hours in a row) are:
  • Maintain his body temperature--he does this just fine
  • Gain weight--he has not been gaining, but last night he did! He's at 8 lbs 15 oz, up 2 ounces! Hurray! He was born at 9 lb 5 oz, for reference
  • Eat a full feeding on his own (not via NG tube)--he is starting to do this. A "full feeding" is 70 ml, or 2.5 ounces. Now anyone who has a 9 pound baby knows that 2.5 ounces should be easy. This is the amount he needs to maintain his weight, and it's all we can do to get this in him.
  • Maintain good oxygen levels. You know that red thing they put on your finger to measure blood oxygen levels? He has one strapped to his foot all the time. You and I walk around with levels of 97 to 100. Jacob was hanging out at 89, 90, 91. Less than 89 sets off an alarm. The nurses have been concerned and considering putting him back on oxygen. Last night's nurse sucked out his nose (drop in saline until he is screaming and gurgling, use a vaccuum pump to suck it 0ut). You can imagine how much he loved that. Screamed his little head off. But then he was at 99 and 100--the first time I've seen that. So the boogers were keeping him from breathing so well. He's still hanging out in the low range, but not setting off the alarms all the time.

I've been keeping track of how much he eats on his own. Here's the list for my first several feedings: 20, 35, 50, 30, 35, 45

And for the last several: 65, 65, 65, 45, 68, 55 So he's doing better.

The hospital let us have a room, so I stayed the night (getting up often to feed Jacob) from Sunday to Monday. I've tried to keep quiet in hopes they won't kick me out. Sam and Adam joined me yesterday at about 2:30--here's a picture of us all cuddled up on the hospital bed.

One of the hardest parts of all this is how it affects Adam. Yesterday he pitched a huge fit when Sam tried to take him home from the hospital, so they stayed a little longer and Adam and I cuddled and watched Peter Pan together. He got to control the bed (up, down, up, down), and seemed much better after that. Last night he climbed into bed (with Sam) and said "I'm homesick. I'm homesick for mom."

He's a funny guy, because when I'm home all the time, he sort of acts like I'm chopped liver. He's such a daddy's boy and always wants Sam. But I've always suspected that his daddy-love is built on a foundation of mommy-security. I'm always there so he can take me for granted. But when I'm gone, no amount of daddy time and attention makes his world feel solid. I can't wait to get Jacob home so I can be with BOTH my boys together.

12 comments:

kim dance said...

oh em- he's so sweet. He's HUGE! And oh so darling. Can't wait to see more pictures out of the hospital!

Luke D said...

so happy for your family!

Zach and Kate Hulet said...

Reading your blog is like my own saline flush! I just start bawling!!! I love you guys! I can't wait to see more on the blog and in person!!!!

Kaila said...

Oh, I just love how Jacob is looking at you--there's nothing in this world as wonderful as holding a baby and being their security blanket!

Congrats again, can't wait for you to get him home!

the Lola Letters said...

He is DARLING! I am so happy fo you guys! (though "exhausted" can't even begin to describe how you're feeling!) Take care!WE'll keep praying - Love you!

jlbunting.com said...

Emily! I am so glad you sent an email because I didn't even realize you had a blog! Congratulations on your new addition! He is so precious and you all look so happy. I will pray for him.
Here's a random one for you, I just moved and I went to a baby shower and met a girl who said I looked familiar. I brushed her off and said I have a familiar face. She was persistent and we figured out she lived in Rogers Hall (95 I think). Her name is Jeanine but I forgot her maiden name. Anyway, she has a little boy and a girl and one on the way.
We have a little boy now too, and I LOVE being a mom.
I am so happy for you and Sam!
Love, Becky

Kendal and Kendra said...

Congrats on the new baby boy! He is adorable, and adam too! You guys have such a neat family! Hope things continue to get better and you can finally take your baby home! We would love to see you when things settle down!
Love-
Kendal and Kendra

Sidra said...

Oh! Thanks for letting me know about your blog! Adam is so big and a new baby! Yeah! I'm so happy for you all! And BTW Emily, everytime I see a picture of you, you seem to be decreasing in age, rather than progressing. I guess it's that MaryKay or motherhood REALLY suits you!

Barb: said...

Emily! It was SO good to get your email so I could read your blog with your news. I am so happy for you and Sam and Adam. How wonderful! Jacob is a beautiful baby and he is lucky to be going to your home with you as a mother. I'm glad to have your blog address, so I can try to keep in better touch. Love, Barb

Demi said...

Oh Emily, What wonderful, wonderful news. I am so happy for you all! Words can't express. I can't wait to meet him. Life can be so amazing!

Demi said...

Oh forgot to say, You have been on my mind the last couple weeks... now I know why.
Love you.

Unknown said...

Emily - I am soooo Happy for you!!!! He is beautiful. Congratulation!