Thursday, September 17, 2009

Goodbye St.Mark's NICU!

We're going home tomorrow!!! Before we do, I thought I'd give you a tour of the NICU. Here is the entrance--on the wall is an intercom where I say "This is Emily Peery, and I'm here to see the XXX baby." (I left out the birthmom's last name for her privacy). Then these doors swing wide open.
This is the hand washing station where you use your leg to turn on the water, scrub with soap, then rinse and dry.
This is the monitor that shows the baby's vital signs. The top line is his heart rate, then his breathing, and finally his oxygen saturation. I spent many hours looking at this screen. At first, his oxygen levels were not great--89, 90, 91. I remember looking around at the other baby monitors and envying their high numbers. Now, his levels are at 99 and 100 regularly.
This is the pump that used to feed Jacob through his NG tube. They put any formula he hadn't eaten into a syringe, connected it to the NG tube, and put the syringe in this machine. It slowly pushed the formula into his tummy.
This is what Jacob usually looked like. Unless they are eating or having "cares" done (temperature, diaper change, weight, blood pressure, etc.) all the babies are sleeping and covered. They do this to help reduce stimulation, which is particularly important for premature babies, or those recovering from trauma. But it's funny to walk in, look around, and think "Where are the babies?"
And here he is! All bundled up and covered in burp cloths. I have to say my favorite thing is unbundling him and seeing his hands and feet. And then burping him on my shoulder and cuddling his little face next to mine.
I can't tell you HOW EXCITED we are to take him home! I appreciate all the CNA's, doctors, and nurses who have taken such good care of him. They have been wonderful.
Emily

6 comments:

Kaila said...

Woohoo! Congrats again Peerys'!

nik and amy said...

I am totally blog stalking you. I hope you don't mind. When I heard the good news, I just had to check the little guy out. Congratulations. I hope that right now you are loading that little bundle in to the car, and are about to bring him home. The waiting is the worst, but the trip home as you know is euphoric! Good luck!

The Meyer Family said...

Ok, I just want to kiss those big, adorable cheeks. Holy cow, he's so cute! Hope you have a great weekend of snuggles and kisses. Or month... it's hard to get enough. So glad he's doing well. Jen

Pam Headlee said...

I am excited for you to take this new baby boy home! Thank you for updating your blog so we can be a part of this wonderful adventure. We love you and love our new baby grandson! Love from Mom & Dad in Congo

James and Summer said...

yessss! As always, you are in our prayers and we are so excited for you! Thank you for taking the time to update... I know that at times like this, it's just 'one more thing' to do - but we really love hearing about little Jacob and all of you! Hope you are home by now!

Andrea, Mrs. said...

Man alive! He is cute! Glad you get to keep him!