Monday, September 21, 2009

Last Days at the Hospital

I know I posted updates, but the world was a whirlwind and my brain only worked part-way during the last few days Jacob was at the hospital. As I reviewed my posts I saw a few gaps! Adam's self portrait Jacob was born Wednesday September 9 (9/9/09!) and weighed 9 pounds 5 ounces. He stayed in the hospital for 9 days. I think his lucky number is 9! On Sunday the 13th we received temporary legal guardianship, and were able to see him for the first time. I spent the night at the hospital on Sunday and Monday nights. The hospital policy is 2 nights only, so on Tuesday at noon I headed home. We had another visit with the social worker that I had to be there for. I called several times to check on Jacob, and since he was eating really well I decided to get one good night of sleep. On Wednesday morning I called again, and he hadn't eaten well so I felt I needed to be there. Sam was sick this whole time, so he couldn't even go into the NICU. We got a hotel in Salt Lake, and it was the best decision we could have made! There was a pool, continental breakfast (one less meal to buy!) and it was just 10-15 minutes from the hospital. So I headed to the hospital on Wednesday afternoon, and Sam and Adam joined me that evening. We swam in the pool and Sam took Adam to get Chinese food while I went to feed the baby. Sam reported that after getting drinks at the gas station and food at the restaurant, Adam proclaimed it "The best day ever!" The hotel turned our hospital stay into a vacation! Thursday morning Sam's cousin Jodi and her two kids came to the hotel and we all went swimming. That evening Sam and Adam visited the NICU in the "family bonding room" and Adam was able to hold Jacob for the first time. We went to The Pizza Factory for dinner, where we gorged on bread twists, pasta, and salad. It is located inside a Fat Cat's bowling alley/game center. So we bowled one round and then the boys played arcade games. This is Adam "using the force" to get a spare. It didn't work this time, but trust me, the force is real! I got a call about 8pm that Jacob was ready to eat and they would be weighing him. Since gaining weight was one of the requirements of coming home on Friday, I was soon sick to my stomach. He had gained weight (hurray!) and I left the nurse with strict instructions to call me any time during the night if Jacob was not eating well. Friday morning I woke up at 5, then 7, then 7:30. I finally decided to get up and get ready, since I expected Jacob would be eating around 8am. Even thought the nurse never called, I decided to head to the hospital anyway. When I got there the discharge was 90% done--the doctor had evaluated him, and he was nearly ready to go. I called Sam to tell him to hurry. In all our rush I hadn't brought any clothes for Jacob! So Sam and Adam picked out an outfit, and brought it to the hospital. After bathing, feeding, and dressing him, Jacob was ready to come home! Here he is in his carseat just before we walked out the door.

No comments: