We got there and found the doors locked with security, and we had to check in at the office. There I asked if I could take my 6 year old on a a short tour of the school I attended. Apparently you have to make an appointment.
So instead we walked around and let the boys play on the playground. It's not the old wooden playground from my days, but hey, it's been 30 years so I suppose they deserved an upgrade. :)
I DID NOT ask if we were allowed, since I was not about to walk a mile for NOTHING. So we played until the children were let out for recess. As we were leaving, a school employee (I think the same secretary from the main office) came to tell us that we weren't allowed to play until after school was out in the afternoon.
So I want to assure all the parents of children attending Bloomfield Elementary school that their children are VERY SAFE. No alumni or their children will be allowed to invade their school grounds, so they can rest easy.
And, the weather was amazing--only a million times more pleasant than it's been in Utah this spring. And Adam's chapped lips and dry cough were gone in 24 hours. However, my asthma returned as soon as we stepped off the plane.
Conclusion:
NY=great place for kids (safe, healthy), not so great for me (banned from school, asthma).
We took the "short cut" home--using the path that goes from the soccer fields to the high school. Adam enjoyed exploring the "forest" and I couldn't remember why this way was SO MUCH SHORTER, but we rarely took it. I think we were afraid of being kidnapped, or more likely, of being harassed by kids from the Jr. High/High school.
Though this will be meaningless for many of you, I need to report that "the bridge" where "the hackers" used to smoke has been taken down. Looking at it now, I recognize that "the bridge" was simply a railing near a small creek that ran into a culvert under the street, with a little extra asphalt poured on the ground. Still, the question will haunt me: now where will the kids gather to smoke? I guess change and progress is inevitable.






No comments:
Post a Comment