Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Builder of the Month

At Adam's school they have a "Builders" theme based on one of the poems my grandfather used to make us memorize:

Builders

I saw them tearing a building down,
A gang of men in a busy town.
With a yo heave ho and a lusty yell,
They swung a beam and the sidewall fell.
I asked the foreman if these men were as skilled
As those he would hire if he were to build.
He laughed and said, “Oh, no indeed,
Common labor is all I need,
For they can wreck in a day or two,
What builders have taken years to do.”
So I asked myself, as I went my way,
Which of these roles am I to play?
Am I the builder, who works with care,
Measuring life by the rule and square?
Or am I the wrecker who walks the town,
Content in the role of tearing down?
I’ve made my decision; I’ll start today,
I’ll be a builder in every way.
- Anonymous and Howard Headlee

So every month they have a Builder of the Month. After watching the award happen the first month, Adam came home motivated. He announced "I am going to be Builder of the Month!" He was particularly careful not to talk out, to sit in learning position, to yell out loud and proud, and get his homework done and learning plan signed every night.

Well, you can imagine how happy we were to find out he was selected as Builder of the Month! Here he is with the other children (one from each class) that received the award.




A family picture:

And with his teacher Ms. Sebra (rhymes with Zebra). 


No comments: